Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Power Lunch

One of the best parts about being on Spring Break is being able to make lunch at home. For teachers, who don't get the option to run out on their lunch break, trying to pack a lunch every day gets so old!

Today I experimented with some produce that needed to be used up and I ended up with a delicious lunch. I present to you...

Roasted Sweet Potato and Spinach Salad:


{Sorry for the terrible picture. I was super hungry and in a rush, so when I stopped half way through to take this pic with my phone I was not too concerned with the quality. Although, I wouldn't say I'm known for my great photography anyway...}

Peel and dice one sweet potato. Put onto a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally (I like mine to be a little crispy on the outside so I let it go for longer).

Let sweet potatoes cool slightly. Put a generous handful of fresh baby spinach in a bowl, top with sweet potatoes, and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

That's it! It tasted really fresh and delicious and had some awesome vitamins and nutrients for me and baby girl.

Spinach contains: Vitamins A, K, C, and folate, iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium {source}

Sweet Potatoes contain: Vitamin C, calcium, folate, potassium, and beta-carotene {source}

I enjoyed some cheese and crackers and greek yogurt with my salad to make up the rest of my meal. This power lunch full of vitamins, minerals, whole grain, and protein definitely made up for my Easter brunch yesterday of cinnamon baked french toast and bacon (...with a side of fruit, if that counts for anything)!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow that sounds so good. I'd never thought to put sweet potatoes in a salad!

    Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete