Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Blueberries

I l-o-v-e fresh fruit, and summer is a fruit lovers dream! This week I picked up a huge container of blueberries at Costco. They are super sweet and delicious, but I was worried about them going bad before I could eat them all (I am still convincing the hubby about the wonderfulness of fruit). Thankfully I had Pinterest to save the day and I found this blog post about preserving fresh berries. Score! I used my 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure out one part white vinegar and ten parts water into my bowl (side note: I seriously love all of the uses around the house for vinegar, but that is for another day). I dropped the berries in and swirled them around. After pouring them into a colander I chose to rinse them with fresh water because I am neurotic like that and I didn't want my blueberries to taste like vinegar. 5 days and counting and the berries are still fresh and delish!

I have been using my blueberries to make a quick and easy breakfast this week. I love using Greek yogurt because of the added protein. I started buying the plain yogurt in a large size container because it is cheaper than buying the individual containers, and you can add lots of goodies to make your own flavor at home. Added bonus: this saves you the extra sugar and calories you get when you buy the kind with fruit already mixed in. I add a little sweetener to the yogurt to tone down the tartness. I have been using Stevia because I like that it comes from a natural source and does not contain aspartame. Honey is another yummy natural sweetener. Once my yogurt is sweetened up I toss in my fresh berries, and breakfast is done. My yogurt recipe changes based on what I have in my pantry (from basic to froofy),  but this week I am keeping it fast, yummy, and easy!


Do you make your own yogurt recipes at home? What are your favorite mix ins?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! If you are not up for a Costco run and need a pint of yogurt, Greek Gods brand at Kroger is really good-and often on sale. I also like to mix in Bare Naked Vanilla Almond Granola w/ the berries. Vanilla Almond is my fave. Thanks for the vinegar tip. We sometimes don't eat all the blueberries before they go bad. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the yogurt tip, Jenny! I will have to check that out since we are Kroger shoppers too. :) I am also a granola girl--yum! Let me know if you try the vinegar trick how it works. I wish I would have dried mine better before putting them in the fridge...some at the bottom stayed kind of wet and got a little yucky.

      Delete
  2. This looks great Sarah!!! I have made my own yogurt before, and i follow Ina Garten's recipe, but I will have to try this one next :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darby! I L-O-V-E Ina. If only I could be her in the kitchen..

      Delete
  3. I know I am supposed to say this because I am your mom, but you are full of good info! Who knew aobut the vinegar trick? Add some walnuts to the yougurt/blueberries for an extra boost of protien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Mom! This good info came from Pinterest of course, where all good ideas come from lately. :) Mmm I forgot about walnuts. I will get those at Costco and stick them in the freezer so I always have them on hand.

      Delete