Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ole

Okay ya'll I am seriously obsessed with this recipe for homemade flour tortillas. I have made them 3 times now and they are so delicious and easy. So far hubby and I have enjoyed them with black bean and cheese quesadillas and chicken tacos.

Here is a copy of the recipe from Dancing Branflakes, with a few of my comments added in:

Mix together:
3 cups flour (I use regular all purpose, but I think whole wheat would be good and a healthier alternative)
1/2 cup oil (I use olive oil because I think its healthier and adds a good flavor--its a good fat, right?)
1/2 tbsp salt

Add in 1 cup warm water. Knead until the dough forms a ball that is shiny and no longer sticks to your hands (I just do this in the bowl...keep it simple!). Cover with a towel and let rest for a half an hour.

After a half an hour flour your surface, pinch off a small ball of your dough, and roll out into the best circle you can make, as thin as you can--I am just starting to get the hang of this part. 

Heat a pan over medium heat, do not add oil or any kind of cooking spray, and let your tortilla puff. Once it starts to puff flip to the other side. Let it puff again and flip. Do this until both sides are a nice toasty color. 

Depending on how big I roll out my tortillas this recipe usually makes about 6, more if you make them smaller.

I am getting pretty good at watching the one puffing in the pan over my shoulder as I roll out the next so I can keep the process moving quickly.

Voila...that's it! Homemade tortillas that are totally delicious, easy to make, and free from all of those chemicals and processed junk that come in the store bought kind.

Sure they have a little extra fat from the oil, but I challenge you to read the ingredients list on those fat free tortillas you have been buying at the store. Can you read the ingredients on the list? Probably not! For me healthy eating is more about clean eating than always eating low fat or low calories. I'd rather have a little extra fat and calories than chemicals in body.

So take a little time, whip a batch of these babies up, and you'll be in love! Ole!

P.S. The few pictures I have of my tortillas are terrible (I seriously need to work on my camera skills), so hop on over to Dancing Branflakes and check hers out...they are lovely!

P.P.S If you choose to use olive oil like me, your tortillas won't turn out as white as the ones in the pictures, so don't worry....you did it right!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked them! It was all my husband's idea to start making them and you're so right- we've never gone back to store bought (bleh!).

    I love that you used olive oil. We might have to try that, too! Since we started making them, we started eating healthier, so I'm wondering what they would taste like with whole wheat flour and coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by!! I love the idea of using the coconut oil. I have not cooked with it before but I know so many people love it. I need to give it a try!

      Delete